A permit is required to modify the weather in Colorado. Cloud seeding contractors must work with local interests to develop an operational plan and funding for a cloud seeding project. The contractor then can apply for a permit to cloud seed from the State of Colorado on behalf of the project sponsors. The person managing the project must be qualified. Public hearings are conducted, a record of decision is developed, and if issues can be resolved and/or addressed, the CWCB director signs the permit.
Permit Timeframe and Fee
Permits are for five consecutive years and are renewable. The permit review fee is $100 plus a 2% commercial fee. The commercial fee is 2% of the base contract between the contractor and project sponsors.
How to Apply for a Permit
Applicants should request the application forms from the CWCB (Andrew Rickert
, 303-866-3441 x3249). Applications should be submitted at least 45 days before the intended beginning of the project.
In addition, the following requirements must be met by the applicant before a permit will be issued:
- Public notice of intent in the target area and adjacent counties
- Public hearing with the CWCB and Attorney General’s Office
- Qualifications adequate to conduct operations
- Proof of financial responsibility and general liability insurance
- Operational plan detailing the operations and naming the sponsors
- Safeguards in place by the contractor and state
More detailed information about these requirements is available in the Permit Process document